Fwd: <VV> strange oil leak location

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Fri Aug 5 17:18:27 EDT 2005

In a message dated 8/3/2005 3:56:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time, pottsf at msn.com
writes:

> I know the fan air pressure is pushing it out, but I've never
> heard of or witnessed such a leak. Before I pull the shroud off to see
> what is wrong, does anybody have experience with this type of oil leak??
> The crankcase vent is the only thing I can think that has a possibility
> to put oil on the inside of the right shroud.

I'd agree with Joe Potts.  While you have the shroud off, check the top cover
gasket bolts for correct torque and for stripped threads/overtorqueing.  One
of my engines (used naturally) leaked oil like yours from the day I got it.
The top bolts on that side were loose and there was a ding in the steel splash
shield under the cover that kept the gasket from seating properly.  (And check
to see if you do have the steel vented cover--if it is missing the crank and
rods will be throwing a lot of oil up on to the underside of the aluminum
cover).

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 Brier, '65 Corsa, 2 '68 Monzas