<VV> RE: 3500 rpm at 70

Bill & Chris Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 5 19:13:38 EDT 2005

I'd go for 4500 & 50 being too high ...

Back in the day when GM training schools still taught Corvair engines, a
recent graduate of such a program told me to 'keep the rpms up - it
keeps the fan spinning'. This was in reference to an engine I had bought
from him, purportedly a demo build motor from the school. I did as told
- of course, young and immortal, I drove that em like I was being chased
by Revenuers; NEVER should have sold it, but I had just bought a 140
Corsa, was parking on the street, and had one of Dad's Morris Minor
sedans, too ...

Or, as Ferry Porsche reportedly has said (in German), "Let it sing!"  My
356's reccomended operating range is 3000-5000 rpm, the 'Green Zone' --
3200 is about 70 in fourth ...   (it seems willing to run at 4500 for
hours on end, oil temps actually go down if we're not in the Mountains)

Drive On!

Bill Strickland
Oregon City, OR