<VV> RE: Communique article rejections

N. Joseph Potts pottsf at msn.com
Sat Aug 6 10:10:13 EDT 2005

Jim -
     I don't usually seek particulars as to why an article is not carried,
nor force ANY decision to reject. Editing a magazine is a mysterious process
to everyone but the editor (and sometimes to the editor, too). It involves a
lot of trade-offs. Obviously, for my purposes, as for yours, the trade-offs
have been against not only (one of) my articles, but by no coincidence,
against my interests, too, which run very much to the techical (but NOT
limited to performance, and not limited to stock or non-stock).
     The Communique, it would appear, is a bit more of a society column than
you or I might prefer, and GROUPS (as opposed to individuals, which might
describe you or me better) need a vehicle like the Communique. These people
get together from all over the world once a year (I haven't made a national
yet, though I'd like to), they meet regionally at least that often, they
might meet locally as often as once a week, and they compete with each other
in autocrosses, economy runs, concourses, and so on and so on. I know you
only through VV, but I suspect you don't go in for a lot of this stuff, at
least where Corvairs are concerned. I certainly don't.
     The Communique is largely for people who know each other, I gather.
I've noticed that on the rare occasion when I do participate in an event
that is carried in the Communique, I don't show up in any pictures, nor get
mentioned. In a way, that's appropriate, because my participation tends to
be minimal. I've autocrossed and concoursed, but never placed.
Half-heartedness on my part is undoubtedly much of the explanation.
Half-something, anyway.
     Anyway, now and then these folks who know each other exchange something
of a technical nature that interests us, and with somewhat greater rarity,
they (the editor) may have some interest in some technicalia WE have to
offer.
     There's a big social side to this hobby as most people practice it. The
Communique is the organ of that aspect, to a large extent. Meantime, thank
God, we have VV. This also is largely given over the socializing, but it's a
lot easier to filter, and to find the stuff we want in it, than is the
Communique. And, in our techno-geeky ways, I suppose we even socialize a
bit.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C