<VV> Rocket Scientists - acronyms

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 6 13:32:49 EDT 2005

Lessee--been in the military, where the same acronym
can mean four different things, depending on the
branch.
Am in ther federal employment system, where the same
acronym means different things to prople in what seems
like hundreds of departments.
Educated as an aircraft mechanic, a world repleat with
acronyms.
Fixed a few hundred varieties of tools from a few
dozen domestic and foreeign companies. Want to feel
stupid? Ask the German technician what a PMTB is.
Been in retail, with a surprisingly large variety of
acronyms for that type of work.
As a former professional writer and editor, I can tell
you you're not doing anyone a favor if you don't
remember Communication Rule #1: remember your
audience. As in anything else, this is important
enough to be rule #2, 3 etc.
Even with some technical orientation of my own, the
previously-mentioned "AA" was so far out of my world
that I had to stop and think about the expanded
version "anti auto photframmergammitz," or whatever it
was. The same engineer probably wouldn't know what a
BC is, coming from a grocery clerk. It's a box cutter.
In the early '80s I attended "business after hours"
meetings as part of my public affairs work for the Air
Force. They gave Chamber of Commerce members a chance
to socialize and network in a casual cocktail
atmosphere. Being as it was the early '80s it was also
a great chance for singles to meet.
I walked up to a strikingly attractive woman talking
to a guy wearing a very expensive suit.  As I came
closer I could hear them talking about "wangs and
floppies," which sounded quite racy for business talk.
Noticing my expression, they explained their company
had just gotten desk-top computers.  The point is, if
you got into computers only in recent years, you
probably wouldn't have recognized those terms just now
than I did 20+ years ago.
I joined VV and had to ask what BBRT and a few others
meant. Still haven't figured out GGGG.
So just remember who you are talking to. Write and
speak to express, not impress.  Blow me away with your
ability to help me understand a complicated subject,
instead of pissing me off with acronyms and jargon
I've never seen. Save it for the office, where the
shortcuts get you to the goal and everyone knows what
you are saying.
So if you work for the Third Temporary Deputy
Assistant  District Undersecretary for the United
Transportation Homeland Security Agency, please note
that, to me, THC stands for "The History Channel."
And just so we'll have some Corvair content, remember
that in the world of percussive maintenance (I made
that one up) you can usually repair an uncooperative
component with a BFH. Contact me off net of you don't
know that one.

Chuck Kubin