<VV> Re: Tires [for '64 Spyder]

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Sat Aug 6 20:52:27 EDT 2005

Hello Pete,

This discussion has been addressed at length previously, but here is a
brief summary of what I have read for the past several years:

At 12:41 PM 8/6/05 -0400, you wrote:
<snip>
>  I would like to get
>something probably wider and lower to give better handling and a sportier
>apperance. I could stick with the 13" size, or go to 14", or even 15" if
>it is
>not too complicated with all the clearances and offsets.

Unfortunately there are not too many 13" tire sizes made any more that are
close in outside diameter to the original 6.50-13 tire that came on your
car.  The 175/80R13 is considered to be the closest replacement, but some
have argued that the 185/80R13 is closer to the original OD.  Both
185/75R13 and 195/70R13 would be a good lower profile alternatives if you
could find them.  The 195/70R13 was recently available at Canadian Tire stores.

Many people have obtained 14" or 15" wheels from RWD Japanese cars that use
the same 4 on 4-1/2" bolt spacing.  A 14X6 wheel with the same back spacing
as the stock Corvair 13X5.5 should be a good fit. The usual donors are the
Nissan Z-car and Mazda RX- series (others?).  After obtaining suitable
wheels I would first check the fit of some 205/60R14 or 185/70R14 tires or
maybe try a 195/70R14 if it has a rounded tread profile.  I might suggest
the Pirelli P4000 195/70R14 as an example of a rounded profile tire.

<snip>

>I've seen different size tires on the front than on the back, is this a
>recommended option? Looking forward to hearing from other Corvair lovers.

Some people like to use larger sizes on the rear, but I like to rotate my
tires for more even wear.  My suggestion is to keep the same size all the
way around.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, (UP) MI