<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 7, Issue 80

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Sun Aug 7 13:24:14 EDT 2005

>Unlikely - the 400 was designed for big blocks and was introduced on 1965
>models. The 350 was considerably later (1969 ?). For an early I suspect
>they might have adapted the "Switch-Pitch" torque converter that allowed
>the 2-speed Jetaway to be advertised as a three speed.

>If I wind up with a PG car am going to look into a lockup torque converter
>to lower the revs, have the engine run cooler, and increase highway MPG. Is
>one of the few things that can do all three without affecting performance.

I had a '66 Toro with the switch pitch convertor... VERY cool setup. There is a programmable aftermarket piece for that unit which changes the personailty of
the piece even more... really makes the car feel at least 50hp stronger. That would be a cool thing to have for the PG... though having a lockup convertor
would definitely be a good thing.

Luckily (unlike the Toro) we can chose a manual trans in our cars...

Bill