<VV> RE: Communique article rejection about using Corvair Site.

Keith Hammett khammett at stainlessfab.com
Tue Aug 9 10:44:44 EDT 2005

Lon,

You have struck a cord with me on your post.  I think that Rick did a very
good job at rebuttal, however he left out a few areas for me.

You state "Do we really care about those who will not spend $20.00 for a
$34.95 book".  We should!!!  It may be that you are missing it here.  How
about looking at it from the new person's view.  Lets set the scene...  You
are looking on e-bay one day and come across this nifty looking car, you
have never seen one but just think it is great.  You put your bid on it and
win.  Now you go pick up your car and the seller knows nothing about Corsa
or the many Vendors to tell you about them.  You get the car home and
discover that it just doesn't run right.  A quick search on the internet and
you find two big vendors and a link to Virtual Vairs.  The vendors won't be
much help as you don't know what is wrong with the car, so you try VV.

Once on VV you ask your "basic" question to which you are told "do a search"
or "its in the book".  Umm, this is the first impression?  Wouldn't it be
much better to answer the question and tell your source?  The responder to
the basic question should say "early model senders have an ohm
reading...according to the Basic Manual".  They might even tell how great it
is and where to buy it.

More than just newbies would benefit from responders stating where
information is coming from.  Anytime I am given where something is coming
from I can follow up and possibly understand the subject better.

You also state "Free free free - and THAT is the real reason VV has lost so
many "valuable" people and their advice. Larry Claypool, Steve Goodman etc
all have to make a living and cannot spend hours a day giving free advice."
This is true that Larry Claypool and Steve Goodman must make a living and
cannot spend hours a day giving free advice, however at least one of these
persons that you mention DOES give FREE advice on another corvair internet
group.  As a matter of fact he just did on someone's question about dropped
valve seats.  Its not the "FREE" that got them its more likely the VOLUME
that did or attitudes.

I do think it is a great idea for Corsa to check into putting some
publications on sites like Amazon.  We might attract more members this way
by reaching out to them instead of having them reach to us.

Keith Hammett

PS that oil filter that came from the underground didn't say underground on
the box.  Guess I will go to who is printed on the box for Free advice on
it.  <GGG>

PSS to conserve space Lon and Rick's post has been stripped.  Their post was
on Digest Vol 7, Issue 94, message 5.