<VV> fans & basics manual thread

Crawford Rose crawfordrose at msn.com
Tue Aug 9 23:38:01 EDT 2005

I wanted to weigh in on this regarding the manuals and advice to newbies.  Some wrote that there were complaints because I once wrote that perceived deficiencies in the corvair fan and high performance solutions belonged on another forum.  Fastvair members discuss such topics, for example.  Then after the convention, many engaged in a  spirited debate about the electric fan used to cool a turbo motor and whether there was any evidence that it adequately cooled an engine.  I was amazed that an actual argument ensued over this irrelevant product that the corvair cheapskates will not purchase in a thousand years.
    Now, after these diversions from corvair repair and maintenance, much is written about the failure of people to bother to pick up the manuals to educate themselves about the corvair's common repair solutions.  Were one to have read everything in the past two weeks as their first exposure to this forum, what a shame that would have been.
    What is the point of this forum if not to help the misguided soul who buys a worn-out forty+ year-old car? Instead of flights of fancy to redesign the fan, we should focus on member's real operational problems, even if its been said before. Maybe I am often not the main off-list contributor to writing to people with solutions but I think we should all do our little part to help.
    Certainly no one responded to my question about eliminating rattles in rebuilding doors in the early convertible last week while opining on "rocket scientists" and the acronyms that they use. The topic of rebuilding worn out window regulators is not discussed in the shop manual. I'll post a note if I determine a useful solution.
Crawford