<VV> Alternator drive end bearing

John Dozsa jdozsa at carr.org
Wed Aug 10 10:50:16 EDT 2005

Yes you can swap the drive end bearing.  You need to be careful not to
damage the bearing races or the balls.  Do not tap the bearing assembly
out by hammering on the inter bearing race.  Remove the FLAPS non
Corvair drive end housing.  Drill two 1/8 inch or smaller holes in the
aluminum casting that will match up with the outer bearing race.  You
are drilling blind from the outside of the casting just to the edge
surface of the bearing race.  I use a the old bearing, just yanked out
of the bad alternator, as a location guide.  Orient the holes 180
degrees apart.  The object is to use a punch, inserted in these holes to
tap the bearing out.  Be careful where the drill chips go.  You don't
want them in the new bearing.

When you are done reassemble the bad Corvair alternator with the junk
bearing and the non Corvair drive end casting.  Return for core credit.

John Dozsa