<VV> testing Tom's cooling system

Crawford Rose crawfordrose at msn.com
Wed Aug 10 14:55:13 EDT 2005

Bob, 19 years of Corvairing; Your assertions regarding the scientific method on the technical side are fine but that discussion is supposed to be on Fastvairs.  The casual Corvair user is led to believe that the stock system is somehow defective while it is not, that an electric fan would be superior, etc., and, in my opinion, the magnesium fan is very sufficient for street and highway use.  The comments about the stock fan are constantly negative. This debate about flipping fanbelts does go back to 1960, however, the decades long debate about testing a replacement system doesn't belong on Virtual Vairs, in my opinion. It's a racing issue only.  If people can't seem to afford to repair their cars to stock specs, I don't foresee this thread being of much use. What does it have to do with maintaining and preserving a corvair?  If this is the new purpose of VV, to explore new technologies, I'd rather see discussions of Honda VTEC transplants (160 hp DIN) or electric hybrids than Tom's electric fan which you have already assessed to be mathematically insufficient.  The controversy will go on forever...
Crawford
  snip: I don't know how long you've been around Corvairs, but I know this discussion has been going on for several decades now. So it might now be possible to shed some light on the technical side of this discussion and leave the emotions out of it. If we don't run a test by an independent third party, the controvesy may just go on forever.
  Regards,
  Bob Helt