<VV> Re: test of cooling system.

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Wed Aug 10 16:58:08 EDT 2005

In a message dated 8/10/05 7:13:15 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
kirbyasmith at gwi.net writes:

> Isn't driving 300 miles, for even the fastest Corvair, much much longer
>  in duration than the thermal time constant of the engine, even with
> significant external air flow?  I would think it sufficient to drive at
> most an hour under each of the desired test conditions.
>
> kirby
>
> Hi Kirby,
Well, this is certainly subjective. You are assuming that the temps will
stabilize at some point. How long does it take for the temperature to stabilize on
a high speed run? Maybe an hour like you say. Maybe.

But what if the temperatures do not stabilize, but gradually creep up, just a
little; but keep going up ever so slowly? What if they are still creeping up
at the end of an hour, but still not to the overheat point? Should we
terminate the test then? I say NO. We should try to determine what the end result will
be, but of courst NOT allow an overheat or a cooking of the engine. Thus the
target of 300 miles.

The problem is that we do not know what to expect with this cooling system.
Will temps stabilize at normal readings? Stabilize at higher than normal? Never
stabilize? Or what?

An hour just isn't enough in my opinion.

Regards,
Bob Helt