<VV> Re: Gas tank Grommet

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Aug 10 22:07:55 EDT 2005

>It is pretty near impossible to get the tank out without cutting the rubber
>portion of the filler neck.  This means you need to have a new one available
>for the install.
>
>If this is a beater, write off line and I can give you a non standard
>suggestion which avoids dropping the tank.
>
>Attachments (if any) are scanned with anti-virus software.
>
>Later, JR

I have taken many a grommet out to drop a tank. Most have survived. But,
they were at least 7 years younger than they are now! Spray with soapy
water or WD-40, something to lube the rubber and a screwdriver to start
curling the lip to the other side of the metal. Sometimes I got the
grommet to come off up and out of the filler neck hole past where the
gas cap attaches. Then you can drop the tank with the filler neck
attached. Other times I had to disconnect the filler hose or cut it ,
drop the tank and then work on the grommet.

But, I must also agree that many a non-show Corvair is sporting a right
front brake line next to and not above the tank. Just how many hours
does a typical non-concours Corvair owner want to pay to replace a
little piece of steel line that was OK before they asked you to work on
the right front brake......

Frank DuVal