<VV> what belongs on VV

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Thu Aug 11 18:22:16 EDT 2005

Hi,

I have mentioned this before but the list has grown somewhat since the last
time... Several email programs allow you to do two very useful things for
high-volume email lists like VV:

1) Direct all of the messages from VV to a subfolder. That way they don't
clog your Inbox and you can read them when you want.

2) Group the messages by some criterion, like Subject. That way you can sift
through many fewer lines (one line per subject rather than one line per
message) in your email folder. It also makes it really easy to delete whole
threads that you don't want to delete. Click once, delete many. :-)

I find this strategy to be much better than digest mode. With digest mode,
you have to scan down through all of the posts in linear fashion.

To give you an idea, I can process 150+ VV emails in less than 5 minutes. I
start by selecting all of the messages (meaning all of the subject
groupings) then Ctrl-clicking on the ones I want to read. That leaves me
with a bunch highlighted. I then press Delete. Ta-da--the majority of
messages are gone, leaving just a few (usually less than 10) to read.

Obviously, this means that I occasionally mis stuff that has Subject lines
which are incorrect or vague. I'm willing to put up with that.

--Kent