<VV> testing Tom's cooling system (Fastvairs?)

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Fri Aug 12 03:02:44 EDT 2005

Crawford,

Why does this subject need to be moved to Fastvairs?  It is my understanding
that VV was meant to include all topics regarding Corvairs including
technical, historical, cosmetic, etc. which would include such things as stock vs.
electric fan cooling.  Fastvairs was created to exclude non racing topics.  VV was
not created to exclude performance topics racing or otherwise.  The Fastvairs
guys just want a place that excludes the more mundane topics.  They don't
have the right or desire (I hope) to exclude performance related topics from the
rest of us.  Fastvairs is a subset of VV not the opposite.

In addition, it is a matter of opinion whether or not an electric fan is a
racing only item.  If and when a valid test is performed and it is determined
that the electric fan is an improvement or at least an acceptable replacement
for the stock fan, the technology may benefit more than just the racing cars.
Among others, these benefits may include ...

1.  The electric fan will likely use less horsepower and become an economy
option.  With gasoline predicted to exceed $3 a gallon here in CA by the end of
the year, that is a very good thing.

2.  Yes, throwing fan belts is more likely in a racing situation but not
exclusively so.  I am not alone in the enjoyment of getting on the accelerator on
occasion.  In theory, one aggressive shift is just as likely to throw a belt
as any single shift in a racing situation.

3.  With our Corvairs getting up there in years, the heat cycling on the
parts, especially the heads, may be pushing valve seats etc. to the hairy edge of
their lifespan. If after tests are done, the electric fan is proven to be
superior for cooling, it may lengthen the life of critical parts even in normal
use.

These are all non-racing benefits which may be realized from the use of an
electric fan.

The "casual Corvair user" can make up his or her own mind about the opinions
expressed here on VV including the electric fan vs stock fan, different sized
tires, dino oil vs. synthetic, cold rocker adjustment vs running adjustment,
EM vs LM and all the other topics that elicit multiple opinions.

Even if the electric fan proves to be a racing only issue, it still belongs
on VV, IMHO.

Doc

PS:  I agree in general that the stock setup has proved itself to be more
than acceptable and that the electric fan may not be a good replacement for all
(if any) uses.  However, I am keeping an open mind and hope that the electric
fan becomes a viable option.
In a message dated 8/10/2005 12:55:31 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Message: 3