<VV> Has anyone on the list BOUGHT Tom's cooling system

Crawford Rose crawfordrose at msn.com
Fri Aug 12 06:18:00 EDT 2005

Well Doc, having survived the early daze of this forum, I will survive this phase, too.  I recall that last month the forum was co-opted with a tirade against the efficiency of the design of the mag-fan and now the latest innovation is whether the Scalzi electric fan is sufficient after my having had to endure five years of posts about how it doesn't work - based on everyone's past applied experience.  Its been hashed and re-hashed (especially as described on Bryan's Solo Is... page) and it all seems to come back to people having the fear of flipping fan belts.  Bryan and you are scolding me for trying to get this discourse moved over to Fastvair.  There is nothing more to say about the Scalzi fan product until someone ponies up and buys one or accepts Bob Helt's challenge to measure the product under controlled conditions. HAS ANYONE ON THE LIST BOUGHT ONE? Well?
Even if our Corvairs were only driving an alternator, could you guarantee you would never flip another belt? I've flipped parallel pulley fan belts on V-8s and I-4s and I don't think it is any less of a pain or more convenient than flipping a belt on a Corvair.
As far as predicted fuel savings from this "free" source of cooling, I don't use 600-1200 gallons of fuel driving my Corvair to rationalize such a conversion.
A brave new world awaits:  What will happen to the unemployed powder coated shrouds, billet fan pulleys, spring tensioners and rebuilt fan bearing housings with billet bearing hubs in which we have invested all of our savings?
Sadly, some newbie owner who could repair the worn or incorrect parts causing his belt problem for $200 will buy an electric fan he doesn't need for $600 to "solve" a problem already "solved" by Chevy in 1964.  Seems like
Crawford
p.s. All of you 140 people, please, don't put the valve seat repairmen out of business by buying electric fanzzz!!