<VV> Corvair vs. Fiero

UltraMonzaWest at aol.com UltraMonzaWest at aol.com
Fri Aug 12 12:24:45 EDT 2005

In a message dated 8/12/2005 7:57:06 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
minoxphotographer at yahoo.com writes:

> Ok gang, my boss is a Fiero nut. He has a 1988 Fiero.  I need a
> Corvair that I know can kick his butt. My trusty '64 110 4 speed ain't
> bad...but as long as Ryan and I seem to be aquiring more
> Corvairs....what would be the most formidable comtetitor?  Do I *have*
> to have a late?  Do I have to have a turbo to get the job done?  I see
> autocross grudgematches on the horizon.  My one advantage is he's kind
> of a weenie driver...he can't tell if he missed a shift, or ran out of
> gas (he ran out of gas, actually).  Also, he dosen't work on his cars
> at all, dosen't know a voltage regulator from a carburetor, so he's
> stuck with a completely stock '88 Fiero.
>
> Tim in Bovey

***********
Don't you and Ryan talk????  gggg   He's on FastVairs!   Just the other
day.......

Here's a post from Ray Sedman of SoCal.   His last 2 years of
modifications....good read!
For starters, here is what I have.  The below is over a two year
tuning period.

65, 140 HP Corsa.  3.55:1 posi, full bodied street car, 13x7 steel
wheels all around, street tires, stock exhaust tubes and
manifolds. Stock type steel rocker arms, light flywheel, Dual air
cleaners with velocity stacks. Dual mufflers. Heads ported and
c.c.'ed, 9.5:1 c/r, Otto Parts OT-20 cam.  Launched at 5,500.
Shift at 6,200 RPM.  Track was near sea level, ambient temps in
the 70 to 85F range.  R/H between 18 to 30%

1/4 mile time of 15.50 at 88.84 MPH with a 62 trans.*   Stock
carbs slightly blue printed.  Bracket 3 winner. Runner up top
bracket eliminator.
*  [broke 65 trans and could not find a replacement]

1/4 mile time of 14.48 at 95.46 MPH with a 65 trans and modified
carbs.  Secondaries bored out to 1.125".  Still running stock
exhaust, but different mufflers than above.

1/4 mile time of 13.68 at 100.16 MPH with above and a shot of N20
from a home built unit.

Cheers!

Ray

Corvair Performance Parts and Services (SM):
http://www.American-Pi.com

Matt Nall / Patiomatt / WCUH / Mr. DeckRug