<VV> 90 degree oil filter change

N. Joseph Potts pottsf at msn.com
Fri Aug 12 12:39:40 EDT 2005

There are no paper gaskets between the oil filter and the adaptor. The
torque to be applied to the bolt extending into the oil filter should be the
stock torque for installing the oil filter without the 90-degree adaptor.
     There ARE paper gaskets between the 90-degree adaptor and the
receptacle on the engine. I find the torque requirements here notably high
(over 35ftlb). In fact, after rounding the hex on the original bolt, I
bought a repro bolt from Clark's that has a beefed up hex. I apply torque to
this hex only with a six-point socket.
     I change every gasket every time. While I HAVE had leaks, I haven't
experimented sufficiently to comment on reusing gaskets. Could be OK.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C