<VV> 90 degree oil filter change

Rick Loving ral1963 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 11 22:47:52 EDT 2005

Okay,  So this will be the first time I have changed the oil filter on
my (new for me) 66 AC car.

I read thru the archives (both for all the posts that could find) and
Corvair Basic's as well as The Classic Corvair, here is what I came up
with a best method practices with the 90 deg housing.

#1 Leak proof plastic bag around oil filter and 90 deg housing
#2 loosen 90 housing bolt and lower complete set-up into bag
#3 drain oil out of filter and 90 deg housing, remove filter from
housing
#4 pull out old gaskets from 90 deg to oil housing (make sure all of
paper gasket comes out)
#5 attach oil filter to housing
#6 install fiber gasket under housing bolt, rubber center gasket, and
paper gasket
            (coat both sides of paper gasket with high temp bronze
sealant)
#7 Add fresh oil to fill filter and housing
#8 attach filter and 90 deg housing back to engine

How tight should the bolt from the oil filter to 90 deg housing be?  I
know this is a common source of leaks due to the paper gasket and want
to make sure I have a good seal.

Any additional tips?

Rick Loving