<VV> Cam Lobe Clearance

Donald Manen donmanen at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 12 14:03:59 EDT 2005

No, I'm not selling cam lobes - or electric fans----

I'm assembling my 80 hp "V" block with all '66 110
moving parts-- did the rod/crank clearance machining
in the block---

now--when the block halves are mated with the crank
and my brand new OTTO OT-20 cam in place--the
clearance between high point on the cam lobes and the
lifter bosses appears to be around .060 (calibrated
shade-tree mechanic's eyeball)---Do I have a potential
problem????   Should I disassemble the block and mill
the lifter bosses back to add clearance????  Go with
the TeXas theory that a "miss by a hair or a mile is
the same thing"----

My residual "Corvair Fix" from the Convention is
beginning to wear off--- I cleaned parts I don't
intend to use; washed and waxed one of my "parts
cars";  ordered parts from vendors that I might need
someday;  parked my truck and drove a Corvair as a
"daily driver" for over a week (don't tell Hagerty)  -

Don Manen
Under the "X" in TeXas