<VV> Bodies

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Fri Aug 12 14:23:30 EDT 2005

> > Is the Corvair considered a GM "A" body style vehicle.  Does anyone
> know the definition and what other GM cars are also considered "A"
> bodies.  thanks in advance.

What I found was that the original Corvair was an A body along with the
Tempest, Cutlass, and Skylark but the changed in 1964 when the Chevelle was
introduced and the others went to perimeter frames the designation went
with them.

The subframe platform designation "F" was used for the Camaro and Firebird
in 1967 but does not seem to have been applied to the Corvair.

So it was an "A" body from 1960-1963 and I do not know what it was after
that. Maybe it was just "the Corvair" since it was only used by Chevrolet.

In a way this is borne out by the Chevy II which did not receive a body
designation "X" until the platform spread to other car lines (Nova, Omega,
Ventura, Apollo which was GMs way of being cute)

I *think* the letter designations were applied by the body plants (Fisher,
Fleetwood, etc) and not by the car lines.

Any why is the Corvette.

Padgett