<VV> Body Letters Alphabet soup

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Fri Aug 12 16:52:57 EDT 2005

>Here's a list I found.  I can't vouch for it's accuracy, but the ones I know
>checked out:

Another one is at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GM_platforms#Rear_wheel_drive . Other
than omitting the years is pretty good.

A - 1960-63 was Corvair, Tempest, Cutlass, Skylark. In 1964 it was changed
to the full frame "intermediates"
A - Special also included the Olds Cutlass Supreme (but not any other Cutlass)

Had quite a number of Vegas, a very nice '75 Astre Station Wagon (Safari
Safari), and a '78 Sunbird with V-8 for over 20 years. Have never heard of
an "H-Special", all were just "H-bodies"

X - was introduced sometime after 1967 (suspect 1970 or 71) when the Nova
platform was picked up by other divisions. Do not recall ever seeing a
Chevy II called an X-body.

Just as an aside, from 62-on the Chevy II was really Chevrolet's answer to
the Falcon/Valiant/Lancer/American/Lark, a thoroughly basic RWD "economy"
car particularly with the 153 cid 4 cyl and evolved more as a "junior
intermediate" through being fitted with the L-79 Small Block in 1966 as
sort of a proto-Camaro and ever larger big blocks including a Yenko version.

So when the Corvair is described as a "Falcon beater", that may have been
true in 1960 and 61 but from 1963 on it was something very different.

Padgett