<VV> 140 stalling

Karl Behrens gold1969corvair at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 12 22:56:43 EDT 2005

Well, I finally figured out my 140 stalling issue. At first, most mentioned that the car was suffering from vapor lock. Well, here is what the car is doing now! I have a 1969 500 coupe 140/glide. The car can sit idle in my driveway, and runs fine. After about 30 min the car dies. This is not in gear, just sitting there running. Well, the coil during normal running is only getting 10 volts. But, when it stalls the coil is only getting 6 volts! The alternator is putting out 15 volts, the battery is getting 15 volts. The voltage regulator is putting out 15 volts to the battery. So..I am at a loss. I am running the Crane Fire Ball Igntion I purchased through Clark's. Now, when I noticed the car stalled, I found that it blew 4 fuses. When I replaced the fuses, and stepped on the brake pedal, I heared a sizzle, and the fuse blew again! I have purchased an NOS Column switch to replace my orginal one. I disconnected the original switch to keep from blowing fuses. Would the switch cause the
 low voltage to the coil, or what??
Thanks,
Karl
69 500 #5465