<VV> 140 stalling

Larry Forman Larry at forman.net
Sat Aug 13 00:22:12 EDT 2005

At 07:56 PM 8/12/2005 -0700, Karl Behrens wrote:
>Well, I finally figured out my 140 stalling issue. At first, most
>mentioned that the car was suffering from vapor lock. Well, here is what
>the car is doing now! I have a 1969 500 coupe 140/glide. The car can sit
>idle in my driveway, and runs fine. After about 30 min the car dies. This
>is not in gear, just sitting there running. Well, the coil during normal
>running is only getting 10 volts. But, when it stalls the coil is only
>getting 6 volts! The alternator is putting out 15 volts, the battery is
>getting 15 volts. The voltage regulator is putting out 15 volts to the
>battery. So..I am at a loss. I am running the Crane Fire Ball Igntion I
>purchased through Clark's. Now, when I noticed the car stalled, I found
>that it blew 4 fuses. When I replaced the fuses, and stepped on the brake
>pedal, I heared a sizzle, and the fuse blew again! I have purchased an NOS
>Column switch to replace my orginal one. I disconnected the original
>switch to keep from blowing fuses. Would the switch ca!
>use the
>  low voltage to the coil, or what??
>Thanks,
>Karl
>69 500 #5465
>67 Monza

Hi Karl,
There are several things going on here that might be causing your
problems.  First let's analyze the voltage issue to the coil.  Without the
car running, the battery voltage is around 12 or 12.6 volts.  When charging
as in idling or driving, the voltage regulator is limiting the voltage from
the alternator to about 15 volts.  When the car stalls and the engine
quits, the voltage to the coil CIRCUIT is now about 12 volts or so.  You
have a ballast resistor and when you take into consideration the voltage
drop of the ballast, 6 to 8 volts is likely about right.  It will be higher
when the points are open, since there is no current flowing and it should
be close to the battery voltage.  The reason it might be around 10 volts
when running is that current is flowing when the points are closed and
close to zero when the points are open.  Thus the voltage at the positive
of the coil being 10 volts is likely about right because you are reading
close to an average voltage due to the current flow.

Since the fuses blow, I suspect you have something shorting out the wiring
and blowing fuses.  It would be difficult to figure out what is happening
without knowing which fuses and where they are in the circuit.  You could
have something in the wiring shorting it to ground and when you step on the
brake pedal, the voltage is supplied to the corner lamps drawing
current.  Any short in any of those wires will blow that circuit fuse.

So my guess is that you need to search for a short.  I have heard of people
taking a small buzzer and placing it in place of the fuse with maybe
another fuse in series with it to keep from completely frying things.  When
you energize the circuit, the buzzer will buzz.  Now you take a small
pocket AM radio and tune it to the top of the band with no signal
present.  The buzzer is supposed to generate radio frequency energy and you
should hear it in the radio.  Now you can go along the wiring from the
buzzer following it toward the circuit load or lamps or whatever, until the
radio noise stops.  This should be the approximate location of the
short.  It makes sense to me with my radio and electronics
background.  Note, however, I have not actually used this equipment that
way.  I have sources of more sensitive instruments to do the same
thing.  FWIW, the very old HP Current Tracer, whose model number I forget,
which was designed as a digital troubleshooting piece of equipment in the
70s, can be used to do the same thing if the circuit is not powered but
driven with a pulse generator.

I was helping tune a club member's car and it suddenly died.  I happened to
see a light flash in the engine wiring.  It was a screw shorting out the
wiring if things happened to just be wrong in the wrong position.  So look
for something pinching the wiring.

Furthermore, if you are REALLY having vapor lock, turn off the engine,
remove the air cleaner,s and while looking down the air horn see if you get
a strong squirt of gas from the accelerator pumps when you twist the
throttle linkage.  A vapor locked car will be starved of fuel and there
will be NO fuel in the float bowls to provide any accelerator pump
squirt.  Make sure your accelerator pump cups are in good shape, or you
might not get a squirt regardless of  float level.

Finally, if you are then convinced you have a vapor lock condition, after
first having replaced the rubber fuel line leading into the engine
compartment, replace the mechanical fuel pump with an electric and be done
with vapor lock forever.  There should be safety wiring in the event of an
accident to turn off the electric pump when the engine is off.

Regards,

Larry