<VV>OT other GM cooling

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sat Aug 13 07:55:05 EDT 2005

>Owners of big engined Pontiacs ( GTOs , Firebirds and Grand AMs) could
>count on their temp gages climbing into the red during top speed runs to
>the beach.

I always had more trouble with SBC engined vehicles, first experienced with
a 67 CamAro on a cross-Tennessee trip. Not high enough to worry but over
the center line. Did find while racing Corvettes that air flow restrictions
at high speeds due to a high pressure area forming under the engine was a
problem. Once put six inch hood pins at the back and at speed the back of
hood would just raise up, you could see the heat just boiling out, and the
temperature gauge would drop. Unfortunately the SCCA officials took a dim
view of it even though the hood was properly restrained.

Was deep into Pontiacs for a long time and found that if you keep engine
tuned right and the revs under 3000, they do not run hot. Never needed a
four core radiator even for my 400 cid tow wagon with a/c (though the 12.5
mpg when pulling a rig wasn't too good but at 43 cents per gallon, who
cared ? Did have the optional 3.08 "economy axle".

Our daily drivers now all have 3800s, are geared for about 35 mph/1000 in
4th/lockup, and always run within 10F of the thermostat (180F) even
crossing the plains outside of KC on a 100+ day. Used to have a rule of
thumb that a water engine should not run over 100F more than ambient. Now
the target is 90F and can usually beat that.

As you may have noticed, running engines cool is something of a passion for
me. More power, more MPG, and less stress. Win-Win.

Padgett