<VV> Re: fan tests, vanes,etc

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sat Aug 13 09:56:03 EDT 2005

snipped and bottom posted

The SAE Corvair paper (authored by Benzinger) has a couple of pages on the development of the original cooling system.

1- One stated advantage of the vertical shaft fan location is it automatically provides more "uniform flow to the cylinders." Makes sense to me, at least to each bank of cylinders, with full peripheral discharge.  The Germans have to load their ductwork with turning vanes work to coax  their vertical fans to provide flawed but acceptable cooling for their simplified two cylinder banks. We clever Yankees have spent some time "fixing" it.
http://www.sbw.org/assets/index/vw/$file/enginefront.jpg

http://www.evozine.com/images2/911.fan.jpg

http://www.i405.com/vw/stand/FanHouse_OffSetOil02.jpg

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/type1/dtm/
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/type1/dtm/DSCN0200.JPG

2 - Chevy started with several flow directing scrolls/diffusers inside a clear shroud and developed them to achieve uniform pressure distribution with better blower efficiency (10-15% expectation).  But on a running engine the cylinders far from the diffusers were not getting enough air flow. So they ended up cutting back and then removing the diffusers.  "As it was, blower power consumption remained unchanged with or without  (the not optimized) diffusers"

Mr B's speculative explanation for diffusers instant failure was the lack of space available.  This makes sense to, since the generic rules for fan inlet and outlet ducting is 10 fan diameters of straight duct are necessary for reasonable flow patterns to develop