<VV> Torque settings for case bolts, journal diameters

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Sat Aug 13 17:36:45 EDT 2005

<Stephen wrote - snip>

re-mic'ed the crank with my new set of micrometers.

The main  journals were  from the planetary gear back  #1 (0.225)    #2
(0.225)  #3 (0.235)  #4 (0.235) and the rod journals in the  same order
front to back  #1(7.242)  #2 (7.241)  #3  (7.241)  #4 (7.241)  #5
(7.241)  #6 (7.242)

Stephen  Upham
<unsnip>

I'm not sure what you are measuring, but these dimensions *almost* look  like
bearing clearances in ten-thousandths but with the decimal place  off one
digit in the case of the mains.

Measuring the crank and rod and subtracting the numbers would give you the
clearance numbers, but plastigage is considered more reliable considering gauge
 calibration issues and the tiny clearances required.  The acid test is the
clearance. I would only use a micrometer to determine whether it's a standard
or  turned undersize crank, not the final clearance checking.  Use plastigage
for that.
.
What you are looking for on the mains and rods is around .001 to .002
clearance (check the manual for more accurate numbers, the range is slightly
wider).

The mains should measure a little over two inches O.D. i.e. 2.0978 -  2.0988
(1&2) and 2.0983 - 2.0993 (3 & 4)  unless they have been  turned undersize,
then subtract .010 or whatever undersize they are supposed to  be.  The rods
come in at 1.799 to 1.800 less any undersize machine  work.

If what you posted for mains clearance is the clearance measured in tenths,
0.225 would be much too tight.  If you slipped a decimal point and  meant
2.225 , that would almost be out of spec on the high side  for a freshly turned
crank. (like a worn-out sized crank)

If what you posted for rod clearance is the clearance measured in tenths,
7-tenths would be at the tight end of the specs.  Almost too tight. Given  your
experience with spinning a bearing, I'd aim for the middle of the spec  range
(about 17 tenths) rather than the tight end.

So assuming your measurements are clearance figures...  Your mains are
either too tight or almost too loose depending on the decimal point and your  rods
are at the almost too tight and at the end of the spec range.  Needs  more
study!
Craig Nicol