<VV> Weird Steering Thing Going On / Danger

Louis C. Armer,Jr. carmerjr at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 14 23:43:59 EDT 2005

Hey Tim, Count your blessings and DO NOT drive the car until you
find the problem. Just think of all the miles you have recently put on
this car including all the high speed runs at Cedar Rapids' Hawkeye
Downs Raceway...................Have you ever checked the steering box
to make sure it has lube oil in it? You may also check the steering shaft
to insure that nothing is cutting it in two at the entrance to the gear box.
A friend here in Atlanta had an early 65 steering shaft completely separate
in this manner. Luckily it happened on a straight road 3 blocks from his
house instead of in the Tennessee mountains where he had bought the car.
Good luck and let us know what you discover.

Chuck Armer
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

   At 08:52 PM 8/15/2005, you wrote:
>My trusty 64 Monza has developed a weird steering thing.
>There seems to be what I can only describe as a "SNAP" sound from the
>steering wheel occasionally.  It's hard to describe actually.
>LIke..making a turn and it's almost like a spring or part of some sort
>is catching then springing back as I tighten into the turn.  It
>*sounds* like it's coming right from the steering wheel center, but I
>can hear it loudly when I'm turning in the alley between two buildings
>and the sound can be heard echoing back when I have the windows down.
>So somthing, somewhere is making this sound.  I'm having a hard time
>deciding if there is really any effect on the steering itself.  It
>"seems" like the steering can feel a bit "loose" in the straight ahead
>position...in the wheel that is..I don't notice the car wandering at
>all, or anything like that. My only diagnosis thus far is to make Ryan
>crawl under it (he's younger and skinnier than me) and give everything
>in the steering linkages a good yank to see that everything seems snug,
>and he reports no obvious trouble. Tomorrow I'm going to stop by my
>favorite shop where he appreciates and understands old cars and have a
>look see underneath.  I'm just wondering if this is some known ailment
>that I could follow up on?  Never heard/felt anything like this in any
>car before.  I have noticed in the last few weeks the steering seemed
>tighter than usual the further I turned from straight ahead. The car
>does have quick action steering arms on it (I've never looked at
>them...but was told they were on it when i bought it, and judging by
>the large turning radius I'm sure that's what I have).  But like I say,
>the sound seems to come right from the center of the steering wheel
>when I turn, but I believe it's happening somewhere down in the guts of
>the system and I'm only hearing it as the sound comes up the steering
>shaft.  That and a couple weeks ago I could swwear the steering felt
>different when we left a car show, but I can't put my finger on exactly
>what the difference is. Maybe I'm nuts?
>Thoughts?
>
>Tim in Bovey
>///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

CORSA Tri-membership Chairman
Corvair Atlanta Member
Corvair Atlanta BOD
Corvanatics Member