<VV> Weird Steering Thing Going On

Shaun shaun_mcgarvey at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 15 21:31:07 EDT 2005

If you can feel the 'snap' in the wheel, I'd be very suspicious of the
steering box. If that's the case I would NOT drive the car with a
disintegrating box.
When I picked up my Canadian '64 Spyder cvt., I backed it down the PO's
driveway and cranked it left to pull it into the alley so I could run it
straight up onto the trailer. Well, as soon as I cranked left it felt rough
but I kept pulling and 'SNAP'. The steering shaft unscrewed and threaded out
about 4 inches out of the mast jacket.
The upper worm shaft bearing had disintegrated. This would have caused total
loss of control if I'd been driving. Believe me, the LAST thing you want is
to be heading toward something solid with that '64 steering column in front
of you.

yea, Vairily ... Shaun