<VV> Motorcycle transplants?

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Tue Aug 16 19:03:38 EDT 2005

You guys are only 50 years too late! Berkeley used this idea in 1956 using a 322cc motorcycle engine to propel a 650lb monoque fiberglass car. Even
retained the chain drive (making modern swaps all the easier). Even with 17 hp the car would do 60mph. These were upgraded to 328cc, then 492cc (both
British Excelsior engines)  and finally to 4 stroke Royal Enfield 750cc 50hp engines that propelled the car past 100mph. Keep the weight low and you don't
need much power. I had planned 3 times to add a GT550 engine to a 328cc car that would exceed the performance of the Enfield cars...
http://fnader.com/images/Berkeley_T60/Berk%20engine%20Corvair%20picnic.jpg

My 3 wheeler Berk weighs even less!
http://fnader.com/images/Berkeley_T60/berkeley004.jpg

Two Brits have done radical R1 conversions of a Bond Bug (already suicidal in stock form) and a Mini....
http://www.3wheelers.com/archives/archive2/body_gal149.html
Can't put my hands on a pic of the Mini at the moment.

Trouble is, a car the weight of a Corvair needs MORE cubic inches, not fewer...
Bill

Bill