<VV> Grades (No Corvair content)

Ewell Mills emills5 at cfl.rr.com
Tue Aug 16 21:59:30 EDT 2005

Many years ago, (1983) I drove my brand new 31 foot Motorhome to California and back.  On the return trip we drove up to Wolfcreek Pass (in Colorado) and then back down heading home.  Both was an experience.  Wide open throttle on 454 hanging in first gear making about 10 MPH, and still passing 18 wheelers going up.  On the way down, oh boy.  Sure had to nurse the brakes, with engine and lower gears to keep from overheating the brakes. Scary as hell.  Don't know what the grades are on that mountain, but I am sure someone on here will tell us.  Thought a couple of times I was going to have to use one of those runaway truck things.  For you that drive big rigs all the time this is probably the norm and comical,  but for us Flat Lander Florida folks it was quite a hairy experience.  So was the drive to Mesa Verde. (long way down if you happened to leave the road).  Beautiful.  Ain't this a wonderful country.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa, Fl.