<VV> Weird Steering Update (aka We need more jackstands)

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed Aug 17 08:44:59 EDT 2005

>  Is it possible I just need a good dose of decent
>lube in there?

Possible, miracles have happened.

>it seems to be "extra smooth" in
>the straight ahead position and about a 1/4 turn either way of the
>steering wheel..or is this normal (with the wheels off the ground).

Steering gearboxes (actually the wormshaft and pitman gear) usually wear in
the straight ahead and slight turn position since most of their life is
spent there and a lack of lube will not help matters.

When people adjust the lash nut to reduce play, it needs to be done at
least a half turn to a full turn from straight ahead and checked through
the full steering range or else you may get a system that binds some point
in the range. Adjusted just in the center and it is guaranteed to be too
tight somewhere.

To add small amounts of fluid in small openings hole I have used an oil can
(http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=36629 )
before. For very thick oil I usually remove the nozzle on the end. Near as
I can tell, the steering gearbox can use Extra Pressure (EP) gear oil (SAE
80W-90) . Have one gallon jug of hypoid gear oil that has a pump built in.

More details are in the factory manual, chapter 2 for lubricants and
chapter 9 for the steering gearbox and adjustment (at least the 65).

Padgett