<VV> Re. Convertible Wells

cwiland at zzz.com cwiland at zzz.com
Wed Aug 17 10:50:52 EDT 2005

Geoff,
  The well is the first thing to be attached to the rear
trim sticks, using tacks or stainless staples, which is my
choice. Sears sells these staples. Use the old well as a
pattern for how to attach the new one. The top goes on
over the well on the trim sticks. I've been involved in
the replacement of 6 tops now. It can be rewarding. Alot
of the hard work is getting the weatherstrips replaced,
the windows aligned, and everything working smoothly
before actually attaching the top. My favorite top was
made by Robbins and is lined with polyester instead of the
more common canvas and is said to resist shrinking which
will make things still look great years from now. Not
available at our favorite vendors, but thru an auto
upholstery shop or online.
  The shop manual covers all pretty well, take your time.
The hardest part is firing in the first staple!

Craig W.
Owner of good things air cooled