<VV> Effect of Reduced Quench on Jet Size and Timimg

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Wed Aug 17 14:13:11 EDT 2005

I've recently modified a 110, whereas the compression ratio remained stock,
but the quench height was reduced to .032. The purpose of this work was not so
much for added HP, but for the ability to run the car without destroying the
engine due to detonation. The work has been successful: the vehicle (a PG with
327 rear and hi-stall converter) is operated in Florida; now, with A/C on,
running 18-degrees of initial advance and premium fuel, knock and/or ping is
nearly nonexistent. This much advance was not possible prior to the head
modifications...with anything past 12-degrees, engine produced the "bunch of marbles"
sound. I'm now on a quest to improve gas mileage from the current 15-mpg. The
car is equipped with a Safeguard (with remote knock display) and dual O2
sensors (with fuel ratio display...car has dual exhausts). I've progressively moved
down to .049 jets with no apparent negative effects on performance or knock
resistance (the Safeguard sensitivity is set high, yet only barley comes into
play even on the hottest day with A/C on full blast). Gas mileage has improved
from 11 to 15-mpg. The A-F ratio, as the jets have been leaned, has gone from a
very "fat" 11-1 down to about 12-1. I'm considering continuing to reduce jet
size, but am worried a bit about going below a size ever used by GM in any
Corvair (I believe .049 was the smallest ever applied by the General.). Question:
does the more homogeneous mixture, due to the now tight quench height and
related turbulence, make higher A-F ratios possible? Also, because of the more
compact combustion chamber, cannot/should not the ignition timing be backed off
somewhat from stock? Thanks in advance for any opinions given.
Mike Mauro