<VV> Effect of Reduced Quench on Jet Size and Timimg

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Wed Aug 17 14:46:58 EDT 2005

In a message dated 8/17/05 11:13:56 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
Mikeamauro at aol.com writes:

> Question:
> does the more homogeneous mixture, due to the now tight quench height and
> related turbulence, make higher A-F ratios possible? Also, because of the
> more
> compact combustion chamber, cannot/should not the ignition timing be backed
> off
> somewhat from stock? Thanks in advance for any opinions given.
> Mike Mauro

Hi Mike,
You could experiment with smaller jets, but be aware that the A/F varies
considerably from cylinder to cylinder. This is why the engineers ran things on
the rich side. In fact, I'd look to some other factors to improve gas mileage.
Carb synchronization, tire pressures, axle ratio, spark advance timing, stuff
like that. Is yours the correct distributor?  Check you coast-down times to
see what your rolling friction is. Your timing is already advanced by 4 degrees
(14 is stock) . I'd suggest backing it off a degree or so from stock because
of the compact chamber. Maybe that would allow you to run a lower octane gas.
Regards,
Bob Helt