<VV> Steering Saga Marches On - 2 Questions

Tim Verthein minoxphotographer at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 17 19:51:08 EDT 2005

For you steering experts who are following along....

Today I did the best I could getting some fresh lube into the steering
box.  I was having a hard time deciding what to use for lube....every
web site...many different Corvair people, etc.. all had different
ideas.  I was thinking chassis grease didn't seem right, gear oil
seemed to thin, I didn't really want to mix up my own concoction, and
my FLAPS suggest a product from Lucas Oil that a lot of the racers
locally are buying for this purpose.  I don't remember what the stuff
was called exactly...but it came in a gear lube style bottle, thicker
than gear lube,, thinner than chassis grease and seemed to be something
that would fit the bill perfectly. I also picked up for $5 a nifty
screw on the top of the bottle pump thing with a long clear hose that I
could shove in the hole in the gear box and pump the stuff right in.
Bottom line..I pumped lots in..trying to get it to flush out some if
the old crud that was inside....plenty of old crud oozed out, and I
topped it off with this stuff.  Then I adjusted the lash just a bit
tighter.  Dropper her on the ground and went for a test drive and nary
a sound was heard.  I went thru my alley, which consists of a "L"
shape, plus in and out of the driveway with tight turns either way,
went for a short drive..all seemed normal..and no clunking catching
boing sound like I had before. Although certainly not convinced that
it's really fixed, but it seems a lot better.  I'm gonna keep my eyes
open for a box...two questions....

1. Looks to me like being a '64 I need the box with the 3 foot (or
whatever it is) shaft already on it..and it goes in with steering wheel
removal..dosen't look to impossible....AND more importantly...

2. Is catastrophic steering gear box failure something that happens?
Everything else in the whole steering system looked great.  The shaft
going into the box appeared just fine, pitman arm, etc...all was snug
and greased.  Whatever was acting up was inside the gear box, as when I
was checking it out I could hear the noise inside the box. But no
slippage, etc...but I'm wondering....

Tim in Bovey

===
You *can* repair a flip-flop with a capacitor!
===