<VV> Right rear brake hanging up

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed Aug 17 20:31:03 EDT 2005

>Sure enough the right rear wheel would not turn.

Number of things could cause that but my first thought was if the brake
drum came off hard, has it gotten adjusted too far out ? Second, do the
brakes move fore and aft at the top when you push on them (are the pistons
free in the cyl). Third, any sign of brake fluid leaking ? Do you see any
shiny spots on the shoes ? In other words check the hydraulics out before
tearing into the e-brake particularly if the car sat for a while (100 mile
a year car is a good candidate for silicone fluid).

BTW if the brake is already tight, you are not going to see any e-brake
cable movement.

I just replaced both rear wheel cyl and rear brake shoes on my '70 because
they were locking up on me. With proper adjustment are fine now.

Padgett