<VV> replacing a three speed with a four speed

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Aug 18 16:03:18 EDT 2005

At 05:48 hours 08/17/2005, boB wrote:

> > I have a 1961 Monza coupe with a three speed and would like to replace the
> > drive train with a 4 speed drive train. I have the cross member which is
> > attached to the transmission case of the four speed.  Clark's
> helps say I  also
> > need the large cross member.  Does that mean I  will have
> to  replace the whole
> > rear cross member?
>
>Yes, the four speed crossmember is notched, with a plate welded in
>to cover the notch.  The notch is necessary to clear the end cap of
>the four speed transmission.  It's just like it looks, mark the
>crossmember, cut it, and weld in a piece to cover the hole
>(approximately 3/4" deep, full height, 6" wide as I recall).  Or
>find a four speed crossmember.

If you have a torch and hammer and don't mind what it looks like, you
can also heat the crossmember and make some space for the 4-sp
bearing cap.    Just make sure you don't set fire to the car.

I've seen this done about as much as cutting and welding etc.

>I'm not sure if the input shaft is different.

It is.    Use the matching 4-sp gearbox input shaft.

tony..