<VV> replacing a three speed with a four speed

boB bobquincy at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 17 20:48:49 EDT 2005

 > I have a 1961 Monza coupe with a three speed and would like to replace the
 > drive train with a 4 speed drive train. I have the cross member which is
 > attached to the transmission case of the four speed.  Clark's helps say
I  also
 > need the large cross member.  Does that mean I  will have to  replace
the whole
 > rear cross member?

Yes, the four speed crossmember is notched, with a plate welded in to cover
the notch.  The notch is necessary to clear the end cap of the four speed
transmission.  It's just like it looks, mark the crossmember, cut it, and
weld in a piece to cover the hole (approximately 3/4" deep, full height, 6"
wide as I recall).  Or find a four speed crossmember.
I'm not sure if the input shaft is different.

boB