<VV> Arm Rest Repair

Scott Cable s2cable1 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 18 14:30:14 EDT 2005

VairHeads,
Although I repaired the passenger side armrest on my Chevy pick-up truck you may find this repair method useful.
Where the screw that holds the armrest to the door panel, the vinyl covered foam had broken through and the PO had put a washer under the screw, this eventually pulled through again and broke the hard plastic substrate.
I cleaned the plastic with soap and hot water, then scuffed the plastic with 220 grit paper.  I then cleaned the plastic with alcohol.
I cut out some fiberglass plys. first was at 0 degrees,  second at a 45 degree bias, third at a -45 degree bias, and last ply at 0 degrees.  I then mixed up some West System epoxy and wetted out the armrest and plys.
 After the glass cured, I mixed up some additional epoxy and mixed it with micro ballons. I used the micro to fill the void where the vinyl and foam had deteriorated.  After the micro cured, I matched the color with some spray paint ( took the armrest over to Wall-Mart and matched the color).
I drilled a hole through the micro and glass and reinstalled the armrest.
You cannot tell that there was ever any repair done.
Hope it helps

Scott Cable
Jamestown, ND
s2cable1 at yahoo.com