<VV> Re: Corvairs and Kerosene

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Aug 18 17:35:07 EDT 2005

At 10:31 hours 08/10/2005, Louis C. Armer,Jr. wrote:
>And Chuckster replies............hmmmmmmmmm, sounds like a good
>"tony" story behind this innocent lead in........Okay Tony, tell us why
>Corvairs don't run well on Kerosene and how you know this?

It involved having access to only a gallon of kerosene (Kero-Sun
heater fuel) following an incident where the car ran out of gas late
at night while on the other side of town playing with cars.   I'd
hoped it might work well enough, mixed with a little cheap lacquer
thinner to "loosen it up" enough to flow through a carb.   It ran but
had almost no power...  figgered I could get away with it since it
was a Spyder with low compression etc and it only needed to go a
couple miles.   Barely made it.

>>    Likewise the trucks and other vehicles including armored stuff
>> like infantry assault vehicles and tanks, all of which run on
>> kerosene.    I don't think it takes much to make a diesel run on kerosene.
>>
>>By the way, a Vair doesn't run worth a dang on kerosene.

It won't run very well on straight methanol either...   same
observation only wouldn't pull the car out of its own way and was
almost impossible to get started.    Terrible mixture ratio...  only
managed to get it started by giving it a shot of carb cleaner and it
would NOT idle.

Gasoline works good.   Most other stuff does not.

tony..