<VV> Re: Corvairs and Kerosene

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Thu Aug 18 16:20:56 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Underwood" <tonyu at roava.net>

> It won't run very well on straight methanol either...   same
> observation only wouldn't pull the car out of its own way and was
> almost impossible to get started.    Terrible mixture ratio...  only
> managed to get it started by giving it a shot of carb cleaner and it
> would NOT idle.
>
> Gasoline works good.   Most other stuff does not.

> tony..
***********
Hi. on methanol you need more or less twice the wet stuff per air stuff
compared to gasoline .... (g) ... also, it runs really cool ... and is
probably barely igniting , especially because of a very low compression we
gotta run with gasoline.

Next time you try methanol, dump in about 5% nitromethane by volumn to help
ignite the methanol ..... of course now you need an even slightly bigger
main jet ... but at least the nitro would help ignite the mix under low
compression.

... and remember, at low throttle openings, there is a very small " cylinder
fill", there is very little *real* compressing going on anyhow ... with pure
alcohol in our 2 strokers we run a very small head bubble, and about 0.002
squish, just enough to clear under high rpm ... we hope (g) ...  it's
surprising what even 2 or 3 % nitromethane will do to wake up the methanol

*********
My Sears lawnmower has needle jets for both high and low, and runs pretty
good on pure methanol , as long as I flush it out with WD40 after messing
with it ...

are we off topic yet ??
ken campbell, maybe off topic in Iowa...