<VV> Parts Countermen, was Brake shoes LITTLE CORVAIR

N. Joseph Potts pottsf at msn.com
Thu Aug 18 15:59:22 EDT 2005

It's no different from a doctor and his patient. The doctor knows more about
diseases, and what the patient's symptoms MIGHT indicate, and what
treatments have worked for these diseases in the past, in OTHER patients.
The patient, on the other hand, knows things about his symptoms (how they
feel, and when) that the doctor CAN'T know, no matter how hard to patient
tries to remember and tell him. The doctor can't POSSIBLY know the patient's
body, experiences, and reactions as well as the patient does, but the doctor
CAN know, for example, that the patient's blood pressure is 100 over 70, and
so, lower than it "should" be.
     And back at the counter, the customer can know that the counterman is
reading a question that the computer may be asking unnecessarily (it's
always been obvious to me, despite my vast ignorance of working BEHIND a
parts counter), and just give the answer, if the counterman is going to the
trouble of asking it. It's not just the counterman who's navigating the
information - the customer is navigating it, too. It's actually a
cooperative effort, and smart participants will avoid cutting corners to
save time or look knowledgeable, whether they're engaged in a cooperative
effort OR working alone (it's all the same, except for MOST of us working
alone, appearances matter less than when we're working WITH someone).
     What I get tired of, is countermen and other service intermediaries who
have gotten tired of dealing with customers (despite the fact that I SURE
CAN appreciate how one would get tired of dealing with customers - that is
one ordeal I have tried to avoid all my life). This is why I like
disintermediation of the kind the Internet and computers can afford. No,
THAT's not perfect, either, but in general it seems to work better for my
personal needs and preferences. And the computer doesn't get tired.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C