<VV> Software--auto related no corvair

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Thu Aug 18 16:20:55 EDT 2005

MIke
Point well taken

Never ceases to amaze me that software for auto businesses are written in many cases by the same people who would write a video game, or a program to keep bowling league averages.  They don't know much about the business, and could care less. They only program in what the company's
IT department---also populated by NON CAR people, tell them to. Not much feedback is asked for from the people who will actually use the software in the course of the work---the end unit user.

This is common in the upper echelons of many companies.
While working for NAPA in Stanley, NC--A kid in Atlanta, fresh from college with a marketing degree--fulfills the prophecy of the "college trained idiot"(not every college grad is one), by changing our stock of belts and hoses, removing numbers that we sold, and replacing them with ones that didn't. We had hard data to back this up. My boss went in and changed the numbers back, and this kid calls up with 2 questions.

1. How did you get the system to change the numbers back after I had changed them??
2. Why did you do it??

The boss answered him plainly.

1. Son, I was fooling with computers even before you were leaving brown globs in a diaper!!!
2. Since you've never spent 10 minutes behind ANY parts counter, let alone MY counter, what makes you think you know better than me what sells in my community??? I think my 30 years behind the counter gives me a better feel than your 0 days behind the counter!!

A few weeks later the same kid in Atlanta fooled with our min/max amounts on spark plugs.  A prime example of his ability was to leave a max of 4 on a plug number only used on a 6 cylinder engine. A call to the Regional IT manager finally straightned THAT one out.

Some companies are smart enough to promote people from the trenches. They have a better idea what works and what doesn't. Some aren't.

Hank