<VV> AFB onna 110 ?

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Aug 19 20:04:33 EDT 2005

At 11:07 hours 08/19/2005, Padgett wrote:
>Anyone have experience with an AFB on a 110 hp ?

Oh yes...   and a 140 or two, or three.

>  I have a 500 CFM AFB with 1.187" primaries and 1 1/4" secondaries
> and a single (WFCB spacing) quad two tube manifold for a 110 and an
> adapter plate from a 56 283 dual quad manifold.

The AFB is a real good carb, easy to work with, handy in that it only
has one gasket and it will run *without* that one gasket, and you
rejet it with metering rods accessible from outside the carb.

>In any case the air valve may never open but is what I had lying around.

Last time I ran an AFB I simply unhooked the secondaries altogether
and ran off of the primaries, did pretty well *until* Winter came
along.    Then it began to argue.

>Just wonder if anyone has any experience with an AFB on a 110 hp ?

Works well for straight line running, but if you try to take any
stiff corners it's gonna burble and sputter.    AFBs have "wing"
floats and they slosh from side to side pretty bad...  you have to do
some trickery to make an AFB work well on an autocrosser.     But for
street running it's pretty good,  *IF* it's not too large.     The
trick is finding a 450 cfm AFB such as what found its way onto the
273 4xbbl Mopar smallblocks around '64.   This is likely the carb
you're talking about, depending on year etc.   Chrysler also used a
small AFB on its "super-six" /6 engine that was fitted to some
Lancers, squeezed 190 hp from that little 4xbbl carb out of 225
inches, not too bad for '61-'62 and a basically stock mildly cammed engine.

If this is the sort of AFB you already have, a healthy Vair engine
like a 140 can make use of *all* of that small AFB.   If it's a 110
with a twin-runner intake, I'd go with just running the primaries
first, see how it works, get it dialed in and then maybe see if the
engine would appreciate the secondaries.

tony..