<VV> AFB onna 110 ?

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Aug 19 20:11:32 EDT 2005

At 11:39 hours 08/19/2005, UltraMonzaWest at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 8/19/2005 11:12:14 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pp2 at 6007.us
>writes:
>
> > Anyone have experience with an AFB on a 110 hp ? I have a 500 CFM AFB with
> > 1.187" primaries and 1 1/4" secondaries and a single (WFCB spacing) quad
> > two tube manifold for a 110 and an adapter plate from a 56 283 dual quad
> > manifold.
>*****
>I've seen them all.......forget it......a carb is a carb......but if the
>delta-p  isn't within range....no fuel flow.....at WOT....

It *will* work if you just use the primaries, leave the secondaries
closed, lift the linkage off the secondary throttle shaft belcrank
and tie the secondaries shut with a spring.

The primaries are fairly small, and the AFB offers up easy jetting
adjustments to play with.

>I've found the FOMOCO   330cfm  2bbl's off of 60's - early 70's  SBF's work
>the best...easiest to work with....and cheap!

...if you have a couple on hand.   Nothing wrong with a non-smog Ford carb...

In my instance I had AFBs laying around.   Likely Padgett doesn't
have any Ford 2xbbl carbs handy either, so I'm spouting off about
what he has.     Frankly I'd not be afraid to run that Ford/Autolite
carb either.   Nothing ever seems to go wrong with them.

If you're reaaally sharp, go find a carb off a '62 Fairlane 221ci
V8.    It's pretty small, should work well on a Vair intake.

...until wintertime.

tony..