<VV> 140 linkage problem

Geoffrey A Johnson geoffj at unm.edu
Sat Aug 20 20:17:53 EDT 2005

Hi Mike,
Yes the bearing blocks work wonders.  They take a little time to put in
place, but well worth it and pretty simple.  Also if they can be found a
set of heim joint style linkage arms that Dennis Pleau used to make will
virtually eliminate all slop in the system.  Next are the arms on the
secondary linkage.  These wear and flop around alot.  What I do is find a
drill bit that is the right size, and then weld those holes shut with a
mig weld.  I then regrind the part flat and redrill the hole.  This
eliminates the slop.  I also shim the arms with thin washers under the
c-clips so they can't  flop around excessively.  Finally make sure that
the rubber and nylon bushings at both the transmission and tunnel pan
bellcranks are good.  I have seen ones that appeared to be good have
enough slop and squish to not allow the secondaries to kick.
Hope that helps,
Geoff Johnson