<VV> Rebuild II

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 21 02:15:53 EDT 2005

I'm pretty tired so I'll keep it brief.  Sure, you say, Upham will keep
it brief, that'll be the day.

Well, Bill W from my club came over to give me a tutoring lesson on
plastigaging the crank.  We were able to get it measured and find out
that all the clearances were within specs.  Oh, happy day!  We
reinstalled the crank and cam (after measuring its clearances also).  I
was able to hit the timing marks on my second try setting the crank.  I
spent tonight measuring the clearances (solo) on each of the rod
bearings (all from .001 to .0015) so everything should be ready to put
back together as soon as we determine if it will be necessary to resize
the cylinders and repacking the cores to ship back west.  The piston
clearances were within factory specs, but I'm not sure if that same
spec is acceptable for non-factory pistons.  I have premium cast
pistons to be installed in cylinders from another vendor.  Will call
Monday to ask.

It feels very, very good to finally have some success after trying nine
times solo to complete this job.  I'm bloodied, scratched, and filthy,
but now that I can see a light at the end of the long dark tunnel that
I've been traversing the last ten months since the meltdown, I will
have a good sleep tonight.

Thanks Bill!
Because of your dedication to the hobby and your selfless sharing of
what you have learned over the years, there will soon be another Monza
on the road and, more importantly, another person who can do what is
increasingly becoming necessary to keep our hobby alive; handle all
aspects of our cars personally.

To all on the vv who have responded to my plethora of seemingly
infantile questions on every aspect of the job just completed and
offered to help in many different ways, THANK YOU!!!   No really,
again, THANK YOU!!!

  (But don't think I'm done pestering you. GGG)

Thanks again,

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Corvairium II

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza sedan 110 (still closer to 0, BUT the
engine is in FEWER pieces on the garage floor)
Sierra Tan (originally, currently Copper) - Saddle, PG, A/C, original
AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, vertical bumper guards, w/ 77K
(soon to be ready to start turing that odometer again)
(In group red, but not for long.  : )