<VV> E-85

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Sun Aug 21 23:21:19 EDT 2005

Are you crazy?  You can't put E85 in a car that is not designed to run it!

First, your fueling will be grossly wrong.  You need much larger jets for
the E85.  The volumetric flow rate needs to go up a lot for E85.
Second, you will destroy in very short order ever elastomer (rubbery bit) in
your fuel system.  Ethanol is nasty to many rubbers and the Vair's fuel
system is not designed to handle it.
Third, you risk corroding the hell out of all the metal bits in your fuel
system. Ethanol is very corrosive.  The OEMs use all stainless steel fuel
tanks, special lines, special injectors (no cabs anymore).

You cannot run E85 in your unmodified car without damaging it.

Jim Burkhard