<VV> fixing exhaust log

Keith Hammett khammett at stainlessfab.com
Mon Aug 22 11:28:52 EDT 2005

A little background first.  While working on the rampside I started
tightening up the exhaust, the right side went with only minor problems
(misalignment when air grill was installed).  The left side was looking good
and I started tightening up the u-pipe to log joint, everything was going
good except one nut wasn't getting tight.  Finally the problem surfaced in
the ear breaking off and falling to the ground.  Now that the problem has
shown itself, what is the fix?  The answer to that was in a manual, I
remembered reading it during one of the "John" sessions.  A quick look in
the tech guide located the solution.

Now for my questions...Has anyone done the exhaust clamp and eyebolt repair
for the broken ear exhaust log?  If so how well did this work out, or would
I be better to find a new/used log.  I should mention that this is on what
is to be a daily driver rampside w/ dual exhaust.  If a new/used log is
better is there a difference in logs?  If so how can one tell them apart?

I would be interested in any newer fixes for the broken ear log that has
been developed since the above fix was put in the tech guide.  I am not
going for concourse stuff hear, just want it to function and last.

Thanks
Keith Hammett

PS  Glad you made it back Smitty....