Does it make sense? Re: <VV> E-85 LONG - future?

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Mon Aug 22 12:43:37 EDT 2005

In a message dated 8/22/05 10:20:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
werpknarly at centurytel.net writes:

> again its not corrosive, its a solvent, like gasoline, but more so and
> cleaner, its what's in all those little bottles of "gas line anti-freeze",
> the "gunk" that ethanol get out of a car's fuel system is what's left behind
>
> by years of using gasoline.

Joe,
       Quoting from the E-85 Vehicle website, " When these materials (such as
aluminum) come in contact with ethanol,they may dissolve in the fuel...."
Now whether you call E-85 "corrosive" or a "solvent" is of less importance than
the fact that it REACTS with many materials in common use in fuel systems.
The website also states that zinc, brass, lead, aluminum, lead based solder, and
terne plated steel (such as found in stock Corvair gas tanks) as well as many
rubbers and plastics are all considered unsafe for use with ethanol based
fuels.  This site also lists materials that ARE safe for use with ethanol fuels.
       P.S.  Most gas line anti-freezes contain methanol not ethanol.
Methanol is even more corrosive (or "reactive") than ethanol.  The best ones, which
I use, contain isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol) which is much less corrosive
and absorbs much more water than methanol.
       Frank "let's get ALL the facts" Burkhard